Tuesday 10 September 2013

Overthinking

Today was the day that Ruby was due to be wormed, chipped and checked at the vet. I've not heard from Gillian so I am assuming that everything is fine and dandy. Apart from that, it's just a waiting game until Saturday morning. I'm pretty sure we are prepared (at least as prepared as we can be).

I'm really throwing myself into this; to the point where I am probably over-thinking everything. Heck, I am DEFINITELY over-thinking things. I need to chill out and take deep breaths. A lot of what is going through my mind is simply not going to be resolved until we have the dog in the home. So there is no point running through all the "what ifs" over and over again. It's much better just to wait and see. 

Who am I kidding? I KNOW I will keep over-thinking stuff, however pointless it is. 

I'm really looking forward to the training. For a start, it will be a challenge to train the dog as I have never done it before. Then there is the matter of making sure other (human) members of the family are all on the same page when it comes to the commands. Having read quite a lot of literature about training Border Collies, I am getting the same message over and over. They are very intelligent and even a slight difference in command, either verbal or the hand signal, and the dog will think "that's a new one...I wonder what the big 2 legged weirdo wants me to do". So it's no good me using "Stay", when someone else says "Wait", or telling the dog to "Leave" when others want to tell the dog to "drop it".

I've written down a list of commands that I think I am going to use. Once I've got the dog used to the command, I need to make sure that others know it so that Ruby doesn't get confused and ends up not responding to either command. 

Crikey, I've just read that last paragraph. What am I turning into? Steve, have a word with yourself man...you need to get out more....

Oh, wait! There is no danger of me NOT getting out more as of Saturday. I mean, that's one of the main reasons for getting a Border Collie as opposed to some little house-dog thing.

I'm rambling now, because I have nothing of use to say. So I'll leave it there for today. I'll end with another picture of Ruby, taken on 1st September..


No comments:

Post a Comment