Thursday 5 September 2013

What's in a name

Another item is ticked off the list. Vet booking made for Monday 16th September 2013 at 10am. We are picking puppy up on Saturday 14th so it will allow a couple of days for her to get acclimatised. I will have lots of questions such as vaccination dates, worming regime and when they would recommend spaying.

I've also been looking into pet insurance. While it doesn't seem too pricey, there are a lot of different policies. The problem I've found with getting a quote from websites is that I know she will be microchipped before leaving the farm but when I tick 'Yes' to microchipped, I am asked for the number and obviously I don't know it yet. I'm therefore left to tick 'unsure' even though I AM sure. I think I'll wait until collection day so I have all the paperwork before sorting the policy out.

In the meantime, I'm starting to plan out the commands and make a note so that all of us use the same ones. Don't want doggie getting mixed messages. I'm finding 101 Dog Tricks very useful for this. It starts with basic commands like 'Sit' and 'Stay'. It then moves on to more advanced 'tricks' such as finding lost car keys and even fetching a beer from the fridge. Something for everyone one I think. As I've said before, I really want to make sure the dog is kept stimulated mentally through training and intelligence work and giving it 'jobs' to do.

It's still amazing me how many people are identifying themselves as dog owners. People I had no idea owned dogs. It's really great as I've got so much knowledge and experience to tap in to.

Although I'm running out of puppy pictures, here is the one used in the original Internet advert.



She has blue eyes although I don't know whether they will stay blue. I've read somewhere that they often change as they grow and may turn darker. Alternatively the dog could end up with 2 different coloured eyes...Wow.

The naming saga continues. While the latest name topping the list is 'Pepper', I'm not sure. I'm going to suggest 'Ruby' and see what everyone else thinks. This naming lark is proving to be much harder than I thought. It seems as though boys names are much easier but maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment